Sunday 18 July 2010

House Hunting

So, for the last week I've been looking for a house in Mae Sot. First I went to Auntie's coffee shop and the woman who works there told me I could stay in her sister's house for free. They are Thai/Burmese and her sister lives in Mae Sot Villa. It's quite far away so we went in her car to visit the house, her two sons came too.

I couldn't believe how amazing these houses were, total luxury houses. I didn't know they had them in Mae Sot. They showed us inside and they had a spare bedroom. It seemed perfect, but so far away from where I'm working. The house had beautiful wooden floors and a huge tv! Comfy sofas and luxurious toilets (tall ones). There's a community swimming pool which is beautiful, with a pool bar. The problem is that it is too far away and I wouldn't feel as if I was living in the community I'm working with.


Trying to get as many options as possible, we asked Canadian Dave if he knew of anywhere and he pointed out to us a real estate lady opposite his shop. We went to her and she said she'd take us to a few places.
We went to a place which had for of the same kind of houses. Small and wooden, not great in the heat. It didnt seem to safe though, as nobody was living in the other houses.
The lady then took us to a house which was 'very far away'. She took us up the CDC school road whch we thought was quite strange and she stopped right beside the nursery where I'm going to be teaching. They're building small houses there which look just right for me. Plus, it being right next to work is a huge plus. It's quite expensive but I think it's a good place to be. I can have a kitchen too which is good. The house is so close to CDC and their boarding houses. Plus Lisa and Rocky live not too far away.
This house will not be finished until September though, so I will live back in homestay until It's finished.
Today Sylvia, the owner of Homestay where I lived last year, took us to look at some apartments. One was quite a bit cheaper than the other. But one had kitchen space. The cheaper one doesn't have space for a kitchen though, whereas the more expensive one does.
I think just now, it seems like the house beside work is the best one. But we've heard there's another little place beside the school too, so we'll have a look this week and make a decision.
I'm looking forward to having a kitchen again and not eating in restaurants every night :)
x



4 comments:

  1. So if you're going to be getting a kitchen soon I'll start the BBQ sauce prototypes?! Maybe not! Sounds like you've got a lot to choose from, but quite exciting! Happy hunting, Lou.

    fiona x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, roast potatoes please! I gave the deposit for the house next to CDC nursery yesterday so I am really excited. Glad to be going back to Homestay until then though. Move out DK on Saturday. Louise

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant news Louise!! You must be delighted and very excited. I am sure you'll miss the DK though...! So my recommendation for Chiang Mai is stay in the Amari. If that is to expensive stay somewhere else in the area. Our hotel was pretty ropey, full of mossies and quite depressing. To add insult to injury we felt as though we had been dropped into a Christmas tree conference. Everywhere we went they were there. Yuk! Keep blogging! PS thanks for finding all my junk. Hannah x

    ReplyDelete