Thursday 29 July 2010

I must blog. I must blog.

Last Friday we went to CDC for mum to say goodbye kind of. Myo Nyo showed us the beautiful floral statues made from candles and lots of little trinkets. The students had made these, they were amazing, professional looking.

This is my house! It's being built, should be ready in September. My one is the one closest, it's two story. Wood upstairs and concrete downstairs. 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms. It's so cool seeing it improving every time I go to CDC.

You can see it from inside the main school gate. It's beside the nursery building which is a 5 min walk from the main school buildings.


We saw little Jack there.


The kids playing opposite nursery, some people waiting to go home. That's the football pitch beside the wee pond.



This little shack is opposite my house, that's the view from the front of my house.

That's the neighbour inbetween my row of houses and CDC nursery.

The front of my house.

On Saturday we went to the Saturday night market. We saw a crowd of people and went over to find thai kids having a breakdance-off. It was so funny, every time someone made a mistake the other side would all hit the floor to chuck them off. Strangeeeeee but soo interesting. I could've stayed there for hours.


Mum bought me a huge pink mosquito net.


On Sunday I moved into homestay. Very sad saying goodbye to mum! Spending the night in different hotels in Mae Sot, weird. It's nice to be back at homestay though, somewhere I know well.


And that night we had a goodbye dinner with the CDC teacher's who Campie teachers have been working with. Lisa and the kids and Jack, Niamh & little Aine.

The next morning we got up at 6ish and mum and Geoff picked me up in their tuk tuk and we went to the bus station. I wasn't a happy bunny.


Saying goodbye to Lisa and the kids.


I went to Mae Pa that afternoon to Jack and Niamh's house. I visited Jack's sister Naw Blay. Later on Jack and I went to the Dam and he taught me how to ride the motorcycle! I'm fabby at it, I might rent one for a day sometime during my stay and see how it goes.
I went to Tesco that night to try and find potatoes to bake in my microwave. My brothers John and David bought me a microwave to go in my new house for my birthday :)
But there are hardly any potatoes in Mae Sot. There are some things that there are very little of, I learnt that it's because the border has been shut off because of disputes between Thailand and Burma and that a lot of deliveries come from Burma so until the border opens back up again, there's no potatoes!
But....I did find Betty Crocker brownie mix. The exact same one from the co-op. So I made brownies in the micro :D



Ther next day Bobo and I went to the tea shop hidden in the market and everyone remembered me from last year :) lovely lovely people.
But there was a totally steemin drunk guy and he climbed onto this cardboard box carrier thing whilst the girl was pushing it. She seemed to know him though and found it funny..then he fell onto the mingin ground.


Today I started at CDC nursery. I went and Ku Paw, the headteacher of nursery said she was busy in the office and just to 'teach'. So I did what you do when you're put in that situation...sing Fischy music!! So we sang songs and went over them. Then I tried to do circle time, but they just don't understand it and so many of them are shy and will not speak. It's takes like 3 mins to get one child to say something with a class of 60 or somethin. Does not work in circle time with kids getting bored and mucking about.
Then we broke for lunch. Ku Paw fed me and told me I need to learn how to eat Karen food because they're doing a project where they learn about other people in other countries.
I always feel like a rubbish teacher, but the children enjoyed the songs which was good. After lunch, the teachers did a little task where the children had to go up and they were told to close their eyes. Then they were given a bag of rocks and a bag of soft-play balls. They were asked lots of questions about how heavy they were and how light they were.
We coloured in pictures after this.
Then they slept. I played 'Relax', a Fischy music song which is so soothing I almost fell asleep too!
The teachers all look after them like mothers. Wiping their noses and stroking their heads to get them to sleep, but one of the teachers kept going round and uncrossing their legs and making them lie straight and hitting them with sticks if they werent sleeping! They all do that here though, it's just their way.


After the kids slept the teachers washed their faces and covered them in talcum powder. Then they went off home. Rocky came to pick Ailsa up.

I decided to go to the after school English class. I didn't feel like doing it but because my motto this year is to seize opportunities - I did it. I said I wasn't gonna teach, just watch. Then he asked me to introduce myself, I talked about what I'm doing at CDC and Scotland and about me. They asked really good questions. It's nice just to have conversations with them and their English is fantastic, it's not like teaching, just chatting away. Really nice.
They asked me to come every day to their after school class :)

I cycled back along the Asia Highway and randomly turned off, thought I was lost but came out next to Borderline. So I went in and then me & Bobo went and had tea together.
Afterwards, I came home. Then went out and bought mangosteen and made cheesy pasta. Good filling food with mangosteen to finish - yum!
Longgggggggggg blog. I'll try to do shorter ones every few days.
BUT COMMENT NOW, I spent ageeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees typing. :)
x




2 comments:

  1. Mega blog, where to begin!
    I like the look of your house so far, it seems you're going to have lovely green views when you look out your window. Everything's so much more lush looking than when I was there. All your nursery kids are so sweet, especially the little guy colouring in. I'm glad you enjoyed the after school english class, I'm sure they'll love the "Scottish one" and will really appreciate the time you spend with them.

    Well I'm gonna go and talk to you in real time now, I'll tell Dougie to get on here and maybe drop you a comment ;)

    Keep enjoying the experience and telling me all about it as you know I like to hear EVERYTHING! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup Clair's right. Great blog. So much to say and so insightful and honest, like when you say you are a rubbish teacher. Well, you are doing your very best and getting the right help so you'll do it well. I'll get Gillian Lendrum, Campie's nursery teacher to think of ideas for you. I am so glad you went to the English class cos you were feeling very sad that we were flying out of Bangkok and I thought you would skip it to go and cry again. I was pretty sure it would be conversation and not formal grammer stuff so think that it's great you're willing to go and help those kids that are keen enough to stay after school and learn more English. Maybe this is a group we could get the weblink going with well....? Remind me.... you didn't cook the cake mix in a metal dish in a microwave, did you? Keep going honey, you're doing good. I love you. Mum

    ReplyDelete