Sunday 23 August 2009

I'm here!

Yesterday was the exhibition of the etchings from Our Burma Book, a book of etchings of Burma that children from 5 Scottish schools and 3 Burmese/Shan schools worked over a year to create.


The Shan - a Burmese ethnic group - children meditated before they did any hard work.



Then, in the first part of the day, they did their own etchings which they got to take them home with a copy of 'Our Burma Book'.




In the second part of the day, people got to look at the etchings in 'Our Burma Book' and talk about it them.



That night, I went out for dinner at 'Maze' with Murray, Stewart...
& their friend David...I had mum's recommendation, chicken cashew nut and fried rice. Our waiter was fabby, very cute!
It was a really lovely meal and really lovely company. I will miss Chiang Mai a lot and I will most likely go back every now & then.




I woke up this morning at 9.30am, I set the alarm for 7.30....PM. I was supposed to be at the bus station for 10am. So I rushed around, packing last minute things, missed my beautiful hotel breakfast & got a taxi to the bus station. Called Kyaw Win and he told me it was actually at 11am we were meeting. I had a hot dog for breakfast.
The bus was fine until I got my hours wrong & realised that I still had another hour to go that I didn't expect. Sylvia picked me up from the bus station in Mae Sot. Sylvia is the owner of Homestays A, B & C. All in Mae Sot. She took me to Homestay A where I will be living for the next 5 months. My room is upstairs & it's all beautiful wood. The walls are paper thin though, so that's not the best. So we arrived & sylvia showed me around, she's a lovely woman, very kind. Then we went for dinner at her house, really nice food. Lisa & Rocky were there with the kids & it was really nice to see them again & also to meet some new people.
I've come back to the Homestay now & I am ready to sleep after measly unpacking a few things.
Blog soon! x

5 comments:

  1. This lovely waiter is the one who told Fiona Vacher that she was a strong woman who could cope with eating their Thai curry that made Fiona cry! He was quite adorable. I knew Louise would end up taking his photo with her.

    You've done well Louise. You will feel strange tonight but tomorrow it will all feel much much better. Just think you could be in rainy cold Port Seton with a dead mouse smell in the kitchen! Love you. Mum xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Stewart, Murray, David and Kyaw Win for looking after her so very well in Chiang Mai. Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I had to chuckle at your bus journey adventures - tee hee! Thank goodness you did have the extra hour...and six hours to recover on the bus! Oh and that red curry just came back to me at the sight of that cute waiter!!!

    Glad you made it to Mae Sot ok - the Hle Bee crowd will be SO excited to see you tomorrow! Look forward to hearing all your news over the next week. Big hugs, Fiona x

    ReplyDelete
  4. i always sleep in before busses, it makes the bus ride even shitter!

    i hope you are enjoying it as much as it sounds like you are, stay safe!

    Ross
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you've arrived safely and were able to get something to eat at the bus station. Remember if you need to come to Chiang Mai to chill out for a weekend, you'll always be very welcome!
    I'm sure though that you will have a wonderful time at Hle Bee and that they will all be so excited at having you there. Enjoy!
    Murray and Stewart

    ReplyDelete