Wednesday 26 August 2009

Two days ago I went to Hle Bee primary school for the first time in a year. Our Guardian Angel came with me and I was so thrilled to see him again. It was so lovely to be back and see all the old faces again. The children were extremely welcoming, each reciting some long welcome every time we walked into a classroom haha. "Thank you teecha"

First, we went to the kidergarten classroom where the headteacher Tha Zin was teaching in groups. The children had to sort out the english alphabet in order together.

We visited all the classes, this is Yan Yan's classroom. He usually has around 40 children in his classroom I think, as does the teacher next door. Yan Yan's classroom is absolutely tiny & that day, they had grouped the two classrooms together in Yan Yan's tiny space. The children were everywhere, even sitting under the desk! Yan Yan was teaching english using a CD Sheils gave him.

The last class GA and I visited was Grade 6. When we got there, there was no teacher. When we asked them what work they were left they said they didn't have any work. So we asked them what they wanted to do.."sleeping lion!" they said. I was confused as I have never heard of this game, I told the children this and they said "oh..teacher Irvine!" haha. So we played sleeping lion, brown eagle, 'can we cross the river' until lunchtime.



GA and I went to the Burmese market and had something to drink and he was talking to an old Burmese lady. When he gave her some money I asked what it was for and he said it was for her to buy a watermelon and that she was a beggar. He told me how her son had wanted to become a doctor in Burma so she went to Mae sot to beg and put her son through medical school. When her son became a doctor, he quicky forgot about her, so this is why GA treats her like his own mother.
This just reminds me of what an amazing man our friend is, he is so kind and helpful in every way and I am proud to call him my surrogate mother.


Afterwards, we went to visit a girl from Hle Bee school, who a member of staff from forthview primary school supports so she can go to school.
Last year I became very attached to girl smart, friendly, wonderful girl and I was so excited to see her again this year. I invited her round to the homestay sometime for some western food! We'll see how that goes.



Today GA picked me up on his crazy motorcycle and we went to a bike shop, I bought a fabby bike that I actually like to ride. One of the men who worked in the bike shop had his toddler there and he was very adorable, running away and stealing bike parts.
Then I cycled to Hle Bee where I observed Yan Yan's class. Baby and Meme came to say "Hi". I spent a good few hours with them. And this time, little Y Sander Wei smiled! She is attached to her mother so it was a miracle she even looked at me haha. She was playing with my Thai mobile and she started saying "Baby" and "Hiiiiiiiii". Very sweet little thing.
























I met Emily, a volunteer who took over for Emma who had to fly back to Canada. She was really nice and fabby at teaching the children a new song. She invited me out for dinner at the night market and we cycled home together. We stopped cycling briefly to stop and say hello to the head teacher of Say Ta Nar school and his wife and two children riding on one motorbike!
The Thai food at the night market was actually really nice. I did not expect this. There are four of the Canadian volunteers who work at some of the schools in the area. I met three tonight. Ella, Emma and Alex.
For the past couple of days, I've found it hard not working in the school, because Hle Bee is the reason I came to Mae sot. I certainly didn't come for the food..
But it was a really nice day today. Which has made me feel better. I just can't wait till I start teaching on monday!
x







7 comments:

  1. The boy who is biting his hand in one of the photos is in grade 6. He looks so tiny but he is 15 years old. He's only 3 years younger than me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is he little Htet? The very clever one?

    What a relief.... you've found the last 3 days really hard and I am so glad that you are coming through that and beginning to connect with folk and with the people you are there to give a hand to. Keep going wee one, you can do it. I love you. Mum

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm thinking you are going to be a convert to Thai...and dare I say it, Burmese...food by the time you finish! Y Sander Wei is SO cute! What a honey - I bet you were really glad to see her. You'll be firm friends so soon. She gave Irvine all the shy looks but by the end of the week she was blowing him kisses!
    Look forward to the teaching tales!
    Fiona x

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're doing amazinggggggg! Miss youuuuuuuuuu!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really hope you enjoy the teaching once you get started, im envious of the food though, thai food is amazing!

    Ross
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Khaing says why are you scared of a gecko when you share your room with a little mouse at home?

    ReplyDelete
  7. thai food is not amazing! hamster is kept in a cage & doesn't crawl on your pillow!

    ReplyDelete